The Austrian (also Vienna) Philharmonic is the best-selling gold coin in Europe. Like its competitors, the Philharmonic tracks the gold price and is internationally liquid. The Philharmonic is struck in pure, 24-karat gold. The Philharmonic 1 ounce gold coin has a classic, highly recognizable design and is one of the most popular in the world. The Philharmonic 1 oz gold coin was first minted in 1989.
The Philharmonic 1 oz coin has the largest diameter of any 24k gold bullion coin in the world. Philharmonic coins are also guaranteed by the Austrian Mint. The Philharmonic is the only gold bullion coin denominated in Euros. The Gold Philharmonic coins are also considered a brilliant vessel for honoring Austria’s musical heritage.
Pure .9999 fine gold Vienna Philharmonics are legal-tender gold bullion coins recognized throughout the world for their beauty, purity and high quality. Vienna Philharmonic coins are produced by the Austrian Mint in Vienna, Austria, which has been producing innovative coinage and currency for over 800 years.
Obverse: Depicts the Great Organ of the Golden Hall in Vienna’s Concert Hall, the Misikverein with the year, weight and value
Reverse: An array of instruments including the cello, violin, harp, French horn and the bassoon
The Philharmonics are available in varying sizes.
- 1 Ounce Vienna Philharmonic
- 1/2 Ounce Vienna Philharmonic
- 1/4 Ounce Vienna Philharmonic
- 1/10 Ounce Vienna Philharmonic
- 1/25 Ounce Vienna Philharmonic
Buying Austrian Philharmonic Gold Coins
At U.S. Coins and Jewelry, we have Austrian Philharmonics available online in our Houston showroom. If not in stock on our website, please contact us as we have many more items in stock or can access from our network.
Interested in Selling Austrian Philharmonics from your Collection?
Are you looking to sell Austrian Philharmonic coins? We buy gold bullion everyday at market value and more. Give us a call for a quote on your gold coins in Houston or complete the form to the right today.
U.S. Coins and Jewelry is the most respected and trusted place to sell coins in Houston. We have been buying and selling gold coins for over 35 years.
Contact us and let us make you an offer today.
Diversity of Austrian Gold Philharmonic Coins
Austrian Philharmonic gold coins belong in the portfolio of any precious metals investor who appreciates fine art and who wants to diversify their holdings with a variety of widely trusted, instantly recognizable world bullion coins.
The Austrian Gold Philharmonic coin is struck, like many other gold bullion coins, to meet the demand for gold among investors. As such, the Austrian Mint experiences fluctuations in mintage corresponding to the demand for gold coins.
The Austrian Mint does not issue the Gold Philharmonic coin in a proof collectible version, but that doesn’t mean that unique offerings haven’t been made since 1989. The following are two coins which were offered for a limited time with the Austrian Gold Philharmonic design:
- The Big Phil: For the 15th anniversary of the Vienna Philharmonic bullion coin in 2004, the Big Phil was offered. The Big Phil is so-named because it contains 1,000 Troy ounces (31.103 kilograms) of .9999 pure gold with an issued face value of €100,000. Only 15 of these massive coins were struck in 2004.
- The 20 oz Austrian Gold Philharmonic: For the 20th anniversary of the Vienna Philharmonic coin, the Austrian Mint created a new size of the coin. This coin has a face value of €2,000 and a fine weight of 20 troy ounces or 622 grams. The diameter is 74 mm with a thickness of 8.3 mm. The total circulation of these coins was 6,027; they were sold in velvet-lined wooden cases with certificates. Due to the limited minting, the coin was sold at a premium of approximately 10% above gold price.
The 1/25 oz Austrian Gold Philharmonic coin was originally intended as a 25th Anniversary coin as well when it was introduced in 2014, however, the Austrian Mint has maintained the coins in the collection as a result of the popularity of smaller fractional-weight coins in gold collections.
There are many reasons you should buy Vienna Philharmonic gold coins for your portfolio, including:
- Virtually Pure Gold Content – 1 ounce gold Philharmonics contain nearly 99.99% pure gold
- Government Guaranteed – Philharmonic gold coins are backed by Austria’s government.
- Easily Liquid – Philharmonic coins are in high demand and widely traded around the world.
At our store, we buy and sell coins and bullion. Among many others, you can sell to us or buy from us the following:
Looking to add to your Collection? Shop Online